Last updated on
Modernizing a kitchen is a top choice among homeowners, due to the many benefits. Even if you don’t perform a full kitchen update, adding a kitchen breakfast bar can significantly improve the appearance and functionality of your kitchen.
A kitchen breakfast bar is an island-like structure that not only acts as an area for people to sit at and eat but also doubles as an additional space for food preparation. Many homeowners opt for breakfast bars as opposed to traditional dining tables and chairs, often to address space issues. Here are over 30 breakfast bar ideas for small kitchens of remarkable design.
Types of Kitchen Breakfast Bars
Once you have decided that adding a breakfast bar in your kitchen is a good idea, you will need to decide what type you would like. There are numerous choices to choose from, and here are some small kitchen breakfast bar ideas:
- Elegant — This type of breakfast bar can improve the overall look of your entire kitchen.
- Functional — This is a smart choice if you’re seeking a breakfast bar that will provide you with numerous benefits.
- Simple — This choice is a possibility if you’re simply looking for extra seating or space in your kitchen.
- Space for appliances — This type of bar is specifically-designed to accommodate appliances.
Decor Benefits of a Kitchen Breakfast Bar
In addition to the many other benefits of having a breakfast bar in your kitchen, improving the overall appearance of your kitchen is high on the list. In fact, many homeowners opt to have kitchen breakfast bars installed simply for the décor aspects. Since your breakfast bar will actually become a part of your kitchen, you will want to ensure that the bar you choose accentuates the existing décor in your kitchen.
Challenges with Adding a Breakfast Bar to a Small Kitchen
If your kitchen is small, you may experience some challenges with adding a breakfast bar. However, if you’re determined to add one, it can be done. You will just have to ensure that you choose a more compact choice. A small kitchen breakfast bar can actually be quite attractive, as the bar doesn’t have to be large in order to serve its purpose. The addition of a small kitchen breakfast bar can provide more counter space and storage, increasing the functionality of a smaller kitchen.
Pros and cons
As with any project, there are both pros and cons to adding a small kitchen breakfast bar in your home. The pros are:
- Additional seating — With bar stools this can be especially helpful if you are hosting a party and have many guests at your home. It can also allow family and friends to sit and chat with you while you work in the kitchen.
- Additional storage space — Many homeowners lack sufficient storage space in their kitchens, and a small breakfast bar can add some much-needed space.
- Space division for “hiding things” — If your breakfast bar is placed a bit higher than most kitchen islands are, your bar can hide a messy kitchen from guests, if your guests remain in another room. The bar can provide this benefit while still providing you with the ability to visit with guests while performing meal preparation.
Unfortunately, you must consider the cons of installing a small kitchen breakfast bar in your home, as well. Here is a list of possible cons:
- Cost — The price for the bar itself, installation and supplies can quickly add up, so if you’re not really prepared to spend a large amount of money, even though it’s considered to be a small project, the cost could exceed your budget.
- Walking space — If your kitchen is small, you need to consider that fact that the bar could take away walking space and make your small kitchen seem even smaller.
- Inconvenience during installation — You should really consider the fact that you will be inconvenienced while your breakfast bar is being installed. If you cook a great deal and even a few hours or days of not being able to fully use your kitchen could cause distress, you might possibly want to consider another option.
How Much You Should Spend on a Kitchen Breakfast Bar?
One aspect of having your kitchen breakfast bar installed that you will have to determine is what your budget will be. You might be wondering how much you should spend on your bar, but the answer will vary greatly. First of all, you need to do some research in order to find out what types of bars are available. Once you’ve done that, you’ll need to determine how much you can comfortably afford to spend on your kitchen breakfast bar, based on the type of bar you prefer.
Having a kitchen breakfast bar installed in your home can be very beneficial for numerous reasons. Most importantly, it can make your kitchen appear cozier, enabling you and your family to eat in the kitchen as opposed to the dining room. As long as you plan the installation of your bar strategically, you should be able to overcome any challenges so you can end up with a nice additional space in your kitchen that could possibly even increase the value of your home.
Liked this article? Here’s what you can read next: