Last updated on
Both types of showerheads have their pros and cons, and there’s no way of saying that handheld showerheads are better. But we’re making a case that you need to have a handheld showerhead at home.
A handheld showerhead is a good alternative to your usual fixed showerhead, especially if you are looking for an eco-conscious solution that conserves water and energy. They can be easily fitted onto the end of a rubber hose to point water in any direction, and they come with various attachments to make them more comfortable and convenient.
A Case for a Fixed Showerhead
The Moen fixed shower head is a great choice if your bathroom has limited space. It can be installed in any standard-sized bathtub with no modifications needed. The spray pattern of this shower head is adjustable from wide to narrow; it comes in three sizes, so there’s one size that will fit most bathrooms. This model features an easy-to-use lever handle on top, which makes adjusting the water flow simple.
Pros of a Fixed Showerhead
- Easy installation: No plumbing required! Just plug into existing drain pipe and attach hose.
- Adjustable spray patterns: Choose from 3 different spray settings.
- Built-in safety valve: If pressure gets too high, the unit automatically shuts off.
- Water saving feature: When not used, the unit turns itself off after 30 minutes of non use.
- Durable construction: Made out of heavy duty plastic material or metal.
- Low maintenance: Requires little cleaning.
- Versatile design: Works equally well in both new and old homes. Brushed nickel design is timeless.
- Affordable price: Available at major retailers like Home Depot, Lowe’s etc.
- Long lasting performance: Can last up to 10 years without needing replacement.
- Efficient usage: Uses less than 1 gallon per minute.
Cons of a Fixed Showerhead
- Limited choices: While some manufacturers offer several styles of fixed showerheads, others only make one style.
- Difficult to install: Installing a fixed showerhead requires drilling holes in walls, ceilings, floors, and sometimes tile.
- Expensive: Depending on where you live, installing a fixed showerhead may require professional help.
- Harder to maintain: Over time, pipes tend to clog due to mineral deposits.
A Case for a Handheld Showerhead
A handheld showerhead allows you to adjust the direction, intensity, and volume of the stream of water and choose between multiple sprays or just a single jet. Handheld showers are perfect for those who want more control over their showering experience. They also work best when placed above the tub/shower area because they allow you to get closer to the source of the water while still being able to see what you’re doing.
Pros of a Handheld Showerhead
- More options: You have the ability to select either a multi-spray option, or a single spray setting.
- Better visibility: With a handheld showerhead, you don’t need to bend down to reach the faucet. Instead, you simply turn the knob to change the angle of the water stream.
- Easier access: Because these units sit higher than traditional models, you’ll find them easier to clean. Brushed nickel finish is very durable and easy to clean.
- Less noise: Since they operate silently, you won’t disturb anyone else by using them.
- Lower cost: These devices typically run about $20-$30 cheaper than other types.
- Convenient storage: Most come equipped with a convenient holder that keeps them upright and ready to go whenever you need them.
- Compact designs: Some even fold flat for compact storage.
- Water efficient: Many claim to save water through low operating costs.
Cons of a Handheld Showerhead
- Hard to store: Unlike a fixed showerhead which comes preassembled, most handheld showerheads must be assembled before use. This means extra steps during setup.
- Less durable: Due to its smaller size, it can easily break if dropped.
Why Handheld Showerheads Are Better?
So how the handheld showerheads are better? These are the main reasons:
Handheld Showerheads Conserve Water
Do you want to save water and also use less energy? You can by using a handheld showerhead! These types of showerheads will only send the necessary amount of water where it is needed. And due to it being in your hands, you are more likely to turn off the water while you are bathing or shaving, so you’re not wasting all this water. Many manufacturers offer low-flow showerheads, including aerators, to increase pressure while using less water. The handheld units rated at 2.5 GPM or less will help you save 2,300 gallons of water a year.
Handheld Showerhead Helps Keep Your Shower Clean
A handheld showerhead will help to keep your shower cleaner. After each use, you need to dry it off properly then wipe it down with soap and water. If you have a home title company, they say that one of the best methods is wiping down the walls with water after every use. Other families do not have the time to purchase any more professional cleaning products, so they can rinse their showers with a handheld showerhead before finishing up for the day. Therefore, they are close by, easier to get to than other cleaning supplies, and may lead to them feeling inclined enough to clean their shower because of how accessible it is on hand always.
Handheld Showerhead Hels Clean Pets and Kids
The topic about pets and handheld showerheads is the question of allowing canines to be washed at home more efficiently than they were before. While a fixed showerhead typically does not have ample pressure to clean dogs properly, the handheld unit that concentrates it into one spot allows you to remove pet odors easier than ever before.
A handheld shower can be used as a shampooing unit for children who need a little help bathing. It has the added benefits of providing easier use in this personal area, an escape from being overwhelmed by the noise and water spray in a standard shower.
Handheld Showerheads are Better for the Elderly and Disabled
Handheld showerheads allow everyone to bathe more quickly and easily. Individuals with physical limitations may benefit from these showerheads, which often come with a longer hose, ranging from 3-6 feet or more.
Handhgeld Showerhead Create a Spa-like Experience
A handheld showerhead would be the typical thing that you hold instead of the other one that can’t move. You might want a handheld showerhead because it provides better feeling and flexibility than the traditional fixed models, which just stay in place. When the time comes, you might need a massage of sorts. Why not try using your new handheld showerhead, and why not go fancy with an LED showerhead?
Because a handheld showerhead is smaller and easier to handle, you won’t have any trouble reaching hard-to-reach places like your feet or back. With the use of this product, instead of getting all wet from standing in front of the nozzle for extended periods of time and then having to dry off afterward, you could stand out away from the water stream so that only your head gets wet.
Yes! Handheld showerheads provide many advantages over conventional ones. The main advantage is convenience: if you’re short on space, you don’t have to worry about where to put the showerhead; you can take it wherever you go. Another major advantage is safety: since there’s no risk of falling under the weight of a heavy fixture, you’ll feel safer when taking a bath or shower.
Yes, they are very safe. In fact, some manufacturers even offer warranties against defects. However, we recommend checking the warranty period carefully before purchasing such a device. If you do find yourself needing repairs after the warranty expires, make sure to contact the manufacturer directly.
It depends on what features you require. A basic model will cost around $20-$30, while a premium version costs $50 to $200.
If you prefer a simple design, look at the “nozzle” first. The best choice is usually based on how long you plan to keep the showerhead. For example, if you intend to use it daily, get something small enough to fit comfortably in your palm. On the contrary, if you plan to store it somewhere else, choose something bigger.
Liked this article? Here’s what you can read next: