Last updated on
Family rooms undergo a good amount of wear and tear. The carpet, in particular, undergoes extensive damage and it has to be replaced regularly. It would be a good idea to find a durable but attractive carpet for your family room. Here are a few things you can keep in mind while doing so:
Choose a durable material — You can now choose from nylon, triexta, polyester, and olefin. These synthetic materials are durable, inexpensive, and easy to maintain. Some of these materials are also permanently anti-stain and colorfast. However, if you have pets and children, triexta should be your first choice. It is affordable, durable and easy to clean. Polyester and nylon are good but they are difficult to clean and they are not as durable as triexta. Similarly, olefin is beautiful and affordable but it is not as hardy as nylon, polyester, or triexta.
Choose a carpet style — There are five major carpet styles available at present.
- Saxony styles are velvet or plush cut pile carpets that are preferred for high-traffic areas.
- Textured carpets have more pile or depth and they usually exhibit a two-tone appearance. The pile does accumulate dust and it is difficult to clean.
- Frieze carpets are the most durable but the most expensive as well. The carpet has a nubbly texture and it is very easy to clean.
- Sculptured carpets are made by cutting designs into the looped and non-looped tufts of a carpet. This creates a shaded or up-down appearance in the carpet. These carpets are durable and affordable as well.
- Looped or Berber carpets are elegant and popular but they are very difficult to clean and wear down quickly.
Choose a quality carpet — Now that you know how to pick material and style, you have to find a quality brand that will hold up to constant wear and tear. A good carpet will weigh at least 34- to 40-oz, have a tuft twist of 5 or more, and a density of 2000 or more. These terms are a little technical and it would be a good idea to read up on these terms before you choose a particular brand.
Family rooms are meant to be relaxing. That means, you, your spouse, and your children will be using the family room quite frequently. Choose a carpet for family room, such that it is attractive but hardy and you won’t have to worry about replacing it anytime soon.
Liked this article? Here's what you can read next: