Last updated on
Here are the steps you can take to make your garage door smart and improve your home security at the same time. Read on!
Your garage door is the weakest link when it comes to the security of your home. Even if you have a detached garage, it’s still an easy target for would-be burglars. However, improving the security of your garage and increasing the comfort of its use is well within your reach!
The easiest way to do so is to install a smart garage door opener. Such devices are easily accessible, and they offer a range of useful features. In this article, you will learn why it’s beneficial to upgrade your garage door opener and what exactly you should do if you want to make it smart. Without any further ado, let’s jump right into it!
Why Should You Get a Smart Garage Door?
A smart home is not a new concept, and it’s becoming increasingly popular. With new technological advancements, you have an opportunity to make your living easier and more comfortable. One of the easiest ways to do it is by getting a smart garage door opener. Though unassuming, this tool can make all the difference when it comes to your car and storage experiences.
Having a smart garage door has numerous benefits. According to experts from A1 Garage Door Services, installing a smart garage door opener is a great investment due to the frequent use of your garage. On average, garage doors in a residential home open and close 1,500 times a year. We bet that sometimes you leave for work or lay in your bed at night and wonder: “Did I close my garage door?” Smart garage door openers come with an app that allows you to check that. What’s more, the app notifies you whenever someone opens the door and allows you to control it from a significant distance. Comfort, security, and peace of mind make it a great addition to your home.
The Easy Way: Replace Your Garage Door Opener
You may consider buying a brand new smart garage door opener, especially if the opener you have already is old, or you still have to open your garage door manually. It can be an expensive investment, but it’s also the fastest way to upgrade your garage.
The Crafty Way: Add WiFi to the Existing Garage Door Opener
In case your garage door opener is fairly new but doesn’t connect to WiFi, you can retrofit it with a WiFi controller. You can do it by following these instructions:
- Make sure there’s WiFi in the area. If you want the device to work properly, you must ensure that you have a strong WiFi connection, especially in the ceiling area, because that’s where the opener will be mounted.
- Add a WiFi range extender or buy a new router. In case your connection is not strong enough, purchase one of these devices. You can also buy both if you feel the need. Either way, a WiFi range extender or a new router should provide you with additional internet coverage.
- Purchase a WiFi garage door controller. This device will connect to your WiFi and allow you to operate two or three openers, depending on the manufacturer. There are many models available on the market, so feel free to do your research, read reviews and product descriptions. This way, you’ll make an informed decision.
- Perform a compatibility test. If you want it to work, you have to ensure your garage door opener is compatible with your WiFi controller. Fortunately, most manufacturers put this information on their websites, most likely in the product description of their openers.
- Mount the controller and door sensors. Your WiFi controller should be secured on the ceiling between garage door openers. As for the sensors, they should be placed on both sides of your garage door, preferably near the top.
- Connect the controller to the openers and door sensors. This step will differ depending on the brand and model, but the procedure is similar in all cases. You’ll have to push the “Learn” or “Pair” button and wait for the confirmation light or signal.
- Test it out. If you followed all the steps, you should now be able to open and close the door with the help of your app. Feel free to see if it works by using your app and changing the door status to open or closed. When the app and your actual door show the same thing, it means you have succeeded!
Getting a smart garage door would greatly improve your smart home experience, not to mention it’s also very convenient. Of course, you can choose the more expensive option and replace your old garage door opener with a more innovative model. However, if you’re more about the DIY approach and the opener itself works just fine, feel free to make some smart upgrades yourself.
As you can see, adding WiFi to your existing garage door opener requires some effort, but it’s definitely doable. It’s a safe and fairly inexpensive way to improve the functionality of your garage and, by extension, your home in general. If you want to live more comfortably, make sure you look into your options, and maybe hire a professional for this purpose.
Liked this article? Here's what you can read next: